Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Best of Last Year and maybe this year a little bit too




Jay-Z & Marvin Gaye: Brooklyn Soul

This is a remix of Jay's American Gangster done by Mick Boogie, don't listen to what anyone else tells you, this is THE DEFINITIVE AG remix, and i personally like it more than the original. Cop it here , also make sure to check out his page a little bit, hes got a ton of badass mixtapes.

Lil' Wayne: Da Drought 3

Wayne's defining statement from one hell of a year, i hope the long delayed "Tha Carter III" is as good as it should be, but if not we've got more than enough music from him in '07 to ask for too much more for a while. This is the best of the bunch, a two disc behemoth with Weezy displaying just about every kind of flow imaginable, this is really, really good shit. He gave it out online for free, and in his own words "if you don't get it for free your stupid." If your a hater, this probably wont change your mind, but this is probably his best stuff besides Dedication 2 and Mixtape Legends. Oh yeah, and Tha Carter 3 Sessions.

Blu & Exile: Below the Heavens

I couldn't find a good d/l for this so, after sampling a few tracks from iTunes, I actually bought an album! I can't remember the last time I did that, but it was worth it. This is the debut full length from Blu, one of the most talented MC's to come around in a LONG time, do not sleep on this dude, you'll be kicking yourself for it down the road. Exile's production is just as good, i haven't heard an MC and DJ gel this well in a minute, a possible future classic; seriously.

Pharoahe Monch: Desire

I just starting listening to Pharoahe but I'm glad I did. This is a great album, if you've heard the hype, its all warranted trust me. This doesn't really sound like anything else, if theirs two albums from '07 that you must listen to, this and Below the Heavens are two very good choices.

UGK: Underground Kingz

A double disc worth it's weight, and its got the single of the year too boot! R.I.P. Pimp C, you probably already have this, but if you don't....change that.

Kanye West: Graduation

You know, I know. Thats 3 for 3 for Mr. West.

The Cool Kids: Totally Flossed Out EP

Find this immediately online, it shouldn't be hard. Their bringing back that "88 Shit", these dudes are the truth. Simple rhymes, but that doesn't mean "Mickey Rocks" isn't talented. Mickey and his DJ Chuck Inglish hail from Chicago and Detroit (holla) respectively, it doesn't get much cooler than that. It's only eight songs, but its eight of the best songs I've heard in a long time.

Common: Finding Forever

The Wal-Mart bargain T-Shirt album cover kinda turned me off at first, but it stands up to it's predecessor "Be", it might be even better. Theirs a track with D'angelo over one of my favorite beats off the late J-Dilla's "Donuts", which kicks a ridiculous amount of ass; but every song is ill as fuck. Just like Be, its almost entirely produced by KanYe, but theirs a Will.I.Am track on there and the aforementioned J-Dilla track. And some guy named Devo Springsteen who i've never heard of but a Wiki search informs me he's pretty hot shit and he works with Ye on the regular, so...yeah.

Ghostface Killah: The Big Dough Rehab

I actually haven't gotten a chance to listen to this too much, but it's Pretty Toney so you know its good. What I have listened to bangs pretty hard, reminds me of Supreme Clientele mixed with More Fish, if that makes any sense.

LCD Soundsystem: Sound of Silver

Awesome, awesome, awesome, really fucking good punk/dance album. I never really listened to Mr. Murphys previous album, I always kind thought "Daft Punk is Playing at my House" was kind of ridiculous, but i guess if your into that stuff (lord knows i love me some Daft Punk, don't get that twisted) It was pretty fun. Check out this new one though, every track is....like the sound of silver. Oooooh.

M.I.A.: Kala

Probably even better than Arular, her debut, M.I.A. is one of my favorite new artists. I also plan on marrying her some day, but thats a different story entirely. This is the kind of album (like just about every other one on this list) that deserves a lot more space, but since i kind of spaced out on my blog for some reason for a couple months I'm making up for lost time. I can't remember where I read this, but it said that the Timbaland produced track is the least creative on the album. True, if that tells you anything. Get this album.

Panda Bear: Person Pitch

This is the perfect album to listen to if your sitting around stoned with a couple friends....and you don't want to listen to rap.

Radiohead: In Rainbows

Duh.

Wu-Tang Clan: 8 Diagrams

This CD is a fucking masterpiece, don't believe what anyone else tells you. It sounds unlike any other rap album I've ever heard, RZA was out of his mind on this one.

No comments: