Thursday, February 21, 2008

The End Complete....almost

I remember the first time I heard "Second Stage Turbine Blade", Coheed and Cambria's debut CD. That voice, the raging riffs etc. I had never heard anything like it, and i fell in love instantly. When they released "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3" They expanded their sound to keep up with their proposed multi album story "The Armory Wars". When the follow up was released, "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness" their sound (and album title...and concept) was beefed up to a level beyond ridiculousness, but the music was always on point and they put on one hell of a live show. I saw them after the release of each of these three albums, and each time they were absolutely amazing. I've heard of notoriously bad shows by them, but I'll believe it when I see it. They released the second volume of the fourth and final chapter of their story last fall, and for some reason I just got around to getting it. I called my friend to ask him what it sounded like, and I quote "yeah i like it a lot, it kind of sounds like all of their albums mixed together". I couldn't of said it better myself. Since this is Volume 2, the beautiful prelude that plays in one form or another before each of their first three albums isn't their, they start pretty much where they left off on the end of Volume 1. For some reason they decided to start this story by releasing the second part first, so the final album of the Armory Wars will be the first part, and if this final release is any indication it will go back to the more simplified sound of their first album, which is still probably my favorite. They really are taking this whole concept thing seriously, but as long as it makes for great songs and albums I'm not complaining; but I am curious to see what they do once the "complete saga" is released. As for "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World For Tomorrow", on first couple listens it easily stands up to the rest of their stuff, and as far as I can tell so far is a pretty perfect end to their multi album cycle. Volume One took brief interludes to go into the mind of the "writer" of the story, which makes all of this stuff even more insane, and entertaining. But it's the seriousness with which they deliver this concept that sells it all, and on this final part it seems that Claudio and the rest of the guys are going ahead full speed with telling the "story" and nothing else. Whether intentional or not, this makes this album the most cohesive and fast flowing since their debut, yet they still manage to go all over the place. Like Volume One, this one ends with an epic five song suite, called "The End Complete", and it is appropriately completely over the top. The final song, the Pink Floydish sounding (and titled) "On The Brink" ends the album with a guitar interpretation of that gorgeous aforementioned prelude. They managed to top off their story in a glorious fashion, now I'm waiting to see how they start it.

No comments: